USB device problems fall under the category of common issues one can face on PC. Most of the time, it is either a port that is of no use anymore or it is again that outdated device driver calling out for an update. This article brings you the best solutions to fix the USB device and the driver issues on your Windows PC.
Ways to Fix USB Issues
Here are the best fixes that you can try to eliminate the USB problems on your Windows PC.
1. Update Drivers
Not keeping the device USB driver updated makes an obvious sense for why your USB is not connecting your Windows PC. An outdated driver can lead to lagging and connection issues with the devices on your PC. If you have stumbled upon USB problems on your Windows PC, you can fix it by updating the device driver.
Follow these steps in order to update device drivers on your Windows PC:
- Type device manager in the search box and hit the topmost result Device Manager to visit the section
- Now, seek and click the concerned device there.
- To continue, you have to click on the Update driver option from the menu.
- Then, hit the Search automatically for an updated driver software option.
Wait while Windows detects the updates and installs the latest driver update for your USB drive. After the update is complete, hit close and restart your computer. Now, you can see if your issue has been resolved.
2. Reinstall Drivers
There is a chance that your USB device has got malfunctioned because of corrupted device drivers. To walk this issue out of your system, you can uninstall and then again install the device driver on your Windows PC.
You can follow these steps to reinstall USB device drivers and fix the issue.
- Firstly, hit the Windows Start menu and select Device Manager.
- Now, find and expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
- Then you have to right-click on the USB driver and hit the Uninstall device option from the menu.
- You can continue doing this for all other available devices that fall under the Universal Serial Bus controllers option.
After you have finished following these steps, you can now restart your computer. Windows will automatically reinstall the USB drivers and hopefully the USB issue will be fixed. fleet maintenance software
3. Download Drivers Manually
There is a chance that your Windows may not successfully recognize the correct driver for your USB device. To help this out, you can go to your device manufacturer’s website and check out the compatible device driver. If you are using a USB 3.0 drive, then you should be able to download USB 3.0 driver for it in order to fix any issue that is budding there. Know, this one is a manual process and it can be tiring to look out for the best driver available for your device on a website but this one will help you ensure the compatibility of the device with its driver.
4. Use a Driver Updater Tool
If you find the manual method to download and update device drivers tedious then it is best for you to seek a third-party driver updater tool to update your USB driver. Using a trusted third-party driver updater software can be super handy when it comes to keeping your check on all the device drivers available for your Windows PC. A driver updater tool is a fast-paced way to work your issue out as it automatically detects the right driver for your device and installs the update. Only use the tool that you find reliable and after you update the USB device driver, you can see if that is what you needed all this time.
5. Scan for Hardware Changes
If you have tried the methods of updating your USB device driver and it still hasn’t fixed your USB issue, then another useful method you can try is scanning the USB for any hardware changes.
You can follow these steps to scan for the hardware changes:
- Go to the Device Manager.
- Now, click on the concerned driver.
- Hit the Scan for hardware changes option from the menu.
Now, you should be able to view the steps for troubleshooting the issue. You have to follow those steps after which your USB issue should be resolved.
6. Reset BIOS
If you are facing issues with your USB device, then you can try to work this issue out by resetting BIOS. In order to reset BIOS, you have to remove the power cable first. To reset BIOS, press the power button for 3-5 seconds. Do it for a few times until it resets the motherboard automatically. Now, wait while your PC or laptop checks the USB controller and gets connected.
7. Remove the Power Supply
Is USB device error still lingering on your Windows PC? To resolve the USB device issues, you can consider removing the power supply and see if that helps.
Here are the steps that you can follow to remove power supply:
- Remove the Power Supply plug from your PC and then, hit the restart for your PC.
- Now, you have to connect your USB device to your computer using a USB port on your machine.
- Once you have the USB device connected to your computer, you can now plug in the Power Supply.
Now you can access your PC and see if your issue has been resolved.
8. Disable USB Selective Suspend Settings
Sometimes the USB device can get dysfunctional on your Windows PC because of the USB selective setting.
You can disable the USB selective suspend feature to resolve the issue. If you don’t know how to access the USB selective suspend setting and disable it, you can follow the detailed steps and screenshots below.
- Open the Power & sleep settings and then, hit the Additional power settings.
- Hit the Change plan settings.
- Now, click on the Change advanced power settings from the Edit Plan Settings window.
- Then, you have to click and expand the USB settings.
- Select the USB selective suspend setting and then, set it as Disabled.
- Click Apply and hit OK to save the changes.
After finishing this process, restart your PC and see if the USB device issue on your Windows system error has been resolved.
You just learned the best ways to troubleshoot the USB device driver issues on your Windows PC. In most cases, it is always the device drivers that lead to USB device issues but if updating a driver does not fix the problem then you can use other methods mentioned in this section.
Share your suggestions or views with us by shooting the comment box.